Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Some Odd Girl's 12 Weeks of Christmas Challenge - Week 2

This weeks Christmas challenge is to use non-traditional colors.  I wanted to use some purple since it's my favorite color and went with Stampin' Up!'s Rich Razzleberry.  It's probably one of my favorite purples.  I couldn't decide on what other color(s) to use so I pulled out my SU! Color Coach.  For Rich Razzleberry, it suggested Old Olive and Pumpkin Pie.  So it was settled, that was my color pallette.  Then i decided to use kraft colored paper instead of white and the card took shape.  Here's the finished product -

The finished card is 9" x 3-3/4".  It's a little hard to see in the picture, but the gems in the center of the snowflakes are colored purple.  I used the darker purple copic that I used on her gifts to color in the diamond bling.  I ran the strip of Rich Razzleberry through a paper crimper to give it a little texture before adding it to the card. 

I also used CPS #237 this week so I'll be entering it there as well:

Copic colors used - E51,E93, E29, E35, E37, R32, YR16, YR65, G82, G94  

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Glitter: Is the Mess Worth it?

I normally avoid loose glitter at all costs.  I don't like finding little flakes of glitter all over the place when I'm done.  But I love how sparkly it is! :-)  For whatever reason, when I decided to join in Some Odd Girl's 12 Weeks of Christmas, I decided to start with glitter!  Who knows what I was thinking, but I think in the end it was worth it.

I started by stamping the cute penguin image from the Warm Wishes Tia set on a sheet of acetate.  Then bit by bit, I put some crystal lacquer down and covered it with glitter.  I continued the process until the entire penguin was covered.

While my glittery penguin was drying, I took some patterened paper and embossed the sentiment with some snowflakes (all from the same set) in white.  To attach the acetate to the paper, I used my Crop-a-dile and a grommet to hold the two together.  The finished tag size is 2-1/2" x 6".

Once the glittering was done, the rest was fairly straight forward.  I do like how the image turned out, but I don't think I'll be playing with glitter again any time soon.



From my stash - pink ribbon, grommet, acetate

Monday, September 26, 2011

One Picture, Lots of Inspiration

Have you seen the inspiration photo for the latest Paper Smooches Sparks Challenge??  Well, here it is:

As soon as I saw it, I had so many things that came to mind:
*the color scheme - green and pink
*the ruffles
*the tag hanging from the arm
*the offset focus of the entire image

But the thing that hit me first was, it's a picture of a onesie and babies wear onesies so why not do a "baby" sized card?  Instead of doing a regular 4-1/4" x 5-1/2" card, I scaled it down a little to create a 3-1/2" x 4-7/8" card.  And once I finished one, I decided it needed to be a set!

So that inspiration picture brought about these cards -

(the color is a little off in this one, I can't figure out why, but the pictures below are truer.)

I used the same double sided pattern paper (SU! Melon Mambo) for all of the cards.  It might be really hard to tell, but the lighter pink is text and the darker pink is polka dots. The cute animals are all from the Paper Smooches Chubby Chums set and they are all stamped in Stampin' Up!'s Lucky Limeade.  Each card has its own envelope with a simple image to jazz it up using a cloud from Paper Smooches Spiffy Scooters set as a "frame" to write the recipients name.
For the owl, I added some Honeydew twine from the Twinery and placed it like he was sitting on the twine.  I stamped the owl three times and layered him so his feathers had some dimension to them. 

I stamped the owl three times and layered him so his feathers had some dimension to them.  I adhered the top of his head flat on each layer and add some dimensional to the bottom part so just the bottoms stuck out. 

For the cow, I wanted to do some ruffles so I used my tiny attacher to hold the ribbon ruffles in place before adhering the ribbon down.  For the envelope, I made sure to unink his arms when I stamped the cow.  The I inked only the arms to make it look as if he was holding up the cloud.  The arms were a little short, so I used a Lucky Limeade marker to connect them to the body.

I love how cute this little dog is.  Since i went with the hello tag as the sentiment, I thought it would be cute if he were waving.  To do this, I made sure to unink his right paw when I stamped him the first time.  After cleaning him really well, I inked up only his right arm and stamped it so it looked like he was waving.  I did a similar technique with the envelope so he was holding the cloud.  That dog always makes me smile.

I wanted to do some more ruffles for the cat and thought it would be cute to put it off of the edge of the card.  I wanted to do something a little different with the sentiment so I embossed it with white embossing powder.  For the envelope, I did some more creative inking trying to get the effect that he's pawing at it, cautiously, attempting to play with it.

The last image from the set was the little chick.  And I feel obligated to use the accompanying  sentiment for it.  I started by cutting the patterned paper into a starburst pattern altering the front and back of the pages.  I tied some ribbon around the left side.  Then I decided to create a little window in the lower right to frame the sentiment.

I had lots of fun making this set of cards.  Here are the challenges they'll be entered in -